Get to Know Me

— feeling haha

I was tagged by my friend ThemisAthena.

1. Are you named after anyone?

My family’s genealogy (and my last name) is a very ancient one. Its origin is lost in the mists of time, in the clamors of battle, and in the changes of circumstances in Portugal’s a thousands of years of history.

2. When was the last time you cried?
Three years ago in circumstances too painful too remember.

3. Do you have kids?

Yep. 3. Two girls and a 4-month year old baby boy.

4. If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself?

My friendlessness is all an illusion. I make people feel better while stabbing them in the back...Just kidding...
I don't like and don't care about crowds.

Depends on the kind of people we are talking about. I'm not easy to get along with, so my friends say...

My tastes are not very common. In the realm of chit chat that tends to be a definite no-no.

5. Do you use sarcasm a lot?
Yep. My daughters are always asking whether I'm joking when I start to talk about something "outrageous"...

6. Will you ever bungee-jump?
Yep. Done that. Plus Scuba-Diving (64 metres/209 feet deep in the Caribbean Sea is my personal record), Hot air Balloon riding, climbing, etc. My favourite is scuba. No cell phone in the depths of the ocean... That's the way I like it!

7. What’s your favorite cereal?
I don't eat cereals. Too sugary for my taste. I drink power smoothies (Herbalife) because I need all the energy I can get because I don't sleep much (4, or 5 hours a night).

8. What’s the first thing you notice about people?
Whether they look me straight in the eyes... I don't like shifty guys.

9. What is your eye colour?
Brown.

10. Scary movie or happy endings?
Back in the day I was a great fan of scary films. Not anymore. I also don't care about happy endings. What I care about is whether the characters are true to themselves.

11. Favorite smells?
I'm sucker for indian dishes. I cook them a lot at home. I'm considered kind of an expert. At home I'm the one who always cooks, be it Indian or the so-called normal dishes. Because I was born and live in the Mediterranean (in Portugal to be exact) I'm also a specialist on Mediterranean cuisine. It's been "proved" that Mediterranean food is the best there is health-wise...

This is to say that my favourite smells are always connected to Mediterranean and indian food.

12. Summer or winter?
Where I live, Lisbon, and weather-wise, the weather is not a topic of conversation. Even in the Winter the temperatures are very mild. In the Spring and Summer the operating temperature range in Lisbon is between 20 (68ºF ) and 40ºC (104ºF). Even in Winter and Autumn I use my outdoor swimming pool at home and it's not heated.

13. Computer or television?
Computer for what matters.
I own a TV because of the kids. I also have another TV SET for watching films, operas, theatre plays, concerts, and football matches, especially Benfica's...

14. What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home?
Dominican Republic. But it's not very different from my own country in terms of weather and beaches. I went there because of the scuba-diving (64 meters, my personal record), but I was kind of disapointed.

15. Do you have any special talents?
I'm a language addict. When I say "language" I mean the two kinds of languages in existence: human and artificial. Suffice to say I'm more proficent in the latter (9) than in the former (3).

16. Where were you born?
Lisbon, Portugal.

17. What are your hobbies?
Reading, scuba-diving, films (classical cinema, especially the American variety from the Golden Age, i.e., the 30's, 40's, and the 50's), opera (I'm an opera buff), theatre, and music (baroque music and AOR).

I've always had pets at home. Now I only have a 15 year old she-cat, Ilse (named after Boogie's girlfriend; can anyone guess what movie I'm talking about...?)

(Ilse in my garden by the pool)

(Ilse helping me writing reviews...)

19. Favourite movie?
I've several. It's impossible to name just one: Johnny Guitar, Casablanca, My Darling Clementine, Blade Runner, 2001, The Big Sleep, ...

20. Do you have any siblings?
A sister.

21. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I never want to grow up... When I was in high school I wanted to be an astronaut, but living in Portugal I knew it was impossible. So I became a Systems Engineer instead (smile).