Hail All Things Medieval: "The Ghost in the Machine"

(William Blake's Ghost in Hamlet)

"By heaven, I'll make a ghost of him that lets me"

Who's there? Anyone? Is anyone listening to me? That is what most of us fear.

Entering the void and being forgotten. What are we to this world? What do our lives matter if our 80 year life span is only a tiny fraction of a fraction in the immense history of Earth? That is what most of us fall victim to. Many of us live such monotonous lives: Wake up in the morning, go to work, come back home, and maybe switch on the TV for a couple hours before calling it a day only to start the same step by step procedure the next morning. However there is a cure for this life lead by mediocrity. That cure comes from the man we all know as Shakespeare. Through his artful work, Shakespeare brings us out of our narrow mindedness and brings truth to our lives. He talks about the good and the bad, the ups and downs, and truths and lies of human nature. This phenomenon describes my most eye-opening experience with Shakespeare. When I was at the British Council, I read my first Shakespeare play and little did I know that at the time that it would open my eyes to the world I knew very little about.

Read on if want to know more about Shakespeare's ghosts...