Life Would Be So Much Easier If We Only Had the Source Code: "Mr. Robot" - A Sort of Review

“Sometimes I dream of saving the world. Saving everyone from the invisible hand, one that brands us with an employee badge. The one that force us to work for them… The one that control us every day without us knowing it. But I can’t stop it. I’m not that special. I’m just anonymous. I’m just alone…”

Elliot - Mr. Robot

Wouldn't we all like to have a Security Engineer day job, and being a hacker by night? It reminds me of my BBS days...

Problems I had with two of the episodes I've seen so far.

Elliot sends a large amount of MMS files to Gideon’s phone to drain his battery. WTF! Everyone who owns an Android phone knows that while playing large multimedia files the process drains the battery quicker, but the impact wouldn't be in minutes or seconds!!!

We also all know that there are programs to bomb phones via SMS or MMS. We also know that these tools literally cause lots of text messages to pop up. In real life, Gideon would have noticed that and get suspicious.

In the next scene, as soon as Gideon puts down his phone, FSociety distracts the entire office with a largely unexplained SmartTV hack. I've been using SmartTV functionalities since I can remember and I don't think the vulnerability depicted is so trivial that FSociety could force a video and lock the remote as easily as they did in this episode.  It bothered me that I didn't see what goes into the SmartTV hack. I'd would have loved to have more information...

Read on, if you wish to do so...