Because It's Friday The 13th: "13 Book Opening Sentences I Know by Heart"

Do you agree with the fact that you know you’re reading a great book from the second you’re inside it?

It's been one of my long doubts concerning literature. Going by the opening line above, and as far as I' concerned, the question does not hold true. It depends on the rest of the book...

A friend of mine popped this question to me on account of today being Friday 13th: "Consegues lembrar-te no prazo máximo de 10 minutos de 13 frases de abertura de livros?" ("In 10 minutes tops can you remember 13 opening sentences book-wise?"

The following list was the result:

“The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin.”

"Memories of My Melancholy Whores" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

“The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.”

"Murphy" by Samuel Beckett

“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson

"It was a pleasure to burn.”

"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”

"The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien.

“Was it the bourbon or the dye fumes that made the pink walls quiver like vaginal lips?”

"Suicide Blonde" by Darcey Steinke

"Sooner or later it was bound to happen"

"Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke

"The manhunt extended across more than one hundred light years and eight centuries."

"A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge

"Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith."

"A Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein

10.

" 'Lot ninety-seven,' the auctioneer announced. 'A boy.' "

"Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

11.

"Once a guy stood all day shaking bugs from his air. The doctor told him there were no bugs in his air."

"A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K. Dick

12.

"Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt."

"Die Verwandlung" by Franz Kafka

13.

"Sie haben mir eine Strafarbeit gegeben."

"Deutschstunde" by Siegfried Lenz

Consider yourself tagged if you wish to come up with a similiar list.

NB: Why did I remember these particular set of opening sentences? No idea. Probably if someone asked me the same question again I'd come up with a different list altogether...