Ser Duncan the Tall: "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" by George R. R. Martin

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: Being the Adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall, and His Squire, Egg - George R.R. Martin

Published October 6th 2015.

The Knight has three novellas. To wit:

The Hedge Knight

The Sworn Sword

The Mystery Knight

I’ve read these three novellas previously when they came out in the three different anthologies: Legends I, Legends II, and Warriors. Having read these stories separately before, I was interested to see them put together as one whole piece, where Martin’s suspicious tendency for excellent storytelling could flow freely from one chapter to the next, without having to wait for a new novella’s release.

I’m not a big fantasy fan. I have nothing at all against it – it’s just that I enjoy good science fiction more than I enjoy good fantasy. I’ve read and enjoyed Middlearth, The Magician, Tigana, etc. But then came George R.R. Martin. Several people told me to read the first book in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga, "A Game of Thrones". I finally succumbed to the thousand-pager, and I'm now hooked, impatiently waiting for Martin to finish the sixth and seventh books in the series to finally read the fifth, "A Dance with Dragons" (it awaits the publication of the "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring" to be tackled...).

Read on, if you're into the Ice and Fire Saga.