Shape-shifting Music: "Blackstar" by David Bowie, "Bowie 70" by David Fonseca

After more than a year, I'm finally able to write about this. I've also just listened to his latest album for the first time, or shall I call it a work of art, for it surely is; 'ladies and gentlemen', "Blackstar". An eclectic heady mix of Bowie, passing through the ages, a collage of art, music and sound, all for your delectation.

In the early 1980's during school holidays, I used to go to a classical music record shop in Rossio in Lisbon. I was able to get a discount on any records I ordered (they didn't mind if I ordered pop records), and frequently utilized this discount by purchasing for my friends. One day, one of them asked me to order a single called 'Starman' by David Bowie. I had never heard of him before this, but found the song to be wonderful and different to anything I'd heard up to then. I can't say that Bowie ever became my top favourite artist, but in the following two years got to know his music extremely well. Another friend of mine invited a group of us to his home on a regular basis, and we used to smoke hash and play table football. The only music played on the turntable was Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs - over and over again.
Bowie's career has been unique and right for the time, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else today who will come anywhere near filling the space he has left. In today's world it doesn't seem as though his kind of creativity can be repeated.

If you're into Bowie, read on.