Transferable Skills: "Wired For Coding: How to Stand Out From The Crowd and Land Your First Job as a Developer" by William Bushee

Wired For Coding: How to Stand Out From The Crowd and Land Your First Job as a Developer - William Bushee

Whatever they are taught today will be obsolete tomorrow. But the concepts won't. Good programming requires the ability to break down a task, organise the steps in performing it, identify parts of the process that are common or repetitive so they can be bundled together, handed-off or delegated, etc. These concepts can be applied to any programming language, and indeed to many non-software activities. Educating youth does not drive wages down. It drives our economy up. China, India, and other countries are training youth in programming skills. Educating our youth means that they will be able to compete globally. This is the standard from the Right that we don't need to educate our youth, but instead fantasize about high-paying manufacturing jobs miraculously coming back. Many jobs, including new manufacturing jobs have an element of coding because they are automated. Other industries require coding skills to maintain web sites and keep computer systems running. Learning coding skills opens these doors. Coding teaches logic, an essential thought process. Learning to code, like learning anything, increases the brains ability to adapt to new environments which is essential to our survival as a species. We must invest in educating our youth. What coding does not teach is how to improve our non-code infrastructure and how to keep it running (that’s the stuff which actually moves things).

If you're into Learning Computer Science, read on.