The Patience of the Spider - Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli Like all the Montalbano novels, "The Patience of the Spider" is also filled with lively dialogue, sharply observed descriptions, vibrant characterization and dramatic shifts in tone. The relationship with Livia is skilfully handled, but this time I couldn't stand Livia's presence and discourse. It looked like she only functioned as a counterpoint to Montabano's viewpoints... And the nagging, for pit's sake...

This book also has a less-complex plot than earlier books but is still an excellent read for the pleasure of the character development and the insight into Sicilian life (I still have to read the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th installments in the english or german translations).

It amounts to a great deal for Camilleri's writing that I worked out who had done, what and why quite early on in the story, but it didn't matter in the slightest. I still enjoyed immensely the path to get there. The writing, even in translation, it's still better than most of the crap out there...

Catarella is also at his "best"...It's difficult to imagine, as you read, that this book could have been written in anything other than English. Catarella's rather eccentric use of language and the quality of the translation is perhaps best demonstrated by saying that the English could be corny and rather annoying, but isn't. And it's also gigglingly funny!