Dregs - Jørn Lier Horst I finally got round to reading Jorn Lier Horst in English. Unfortunately, this is the first translation from Norwegian into English and it started off with the 6th volume, not with the first. Shame on you publishers!! Now I'll have to buy the first volumes in German, to see what the fuss is all about. I should have waited, but I wasn't sure whether I should buy the first 5 volumes in German.

There's lots of so-and-so (and let's say it outright, bad...) fiction coming out of Scandinavia nowadays, that's why I was reluctant to buy the first volumes in German. I fondly remember the days that if you wanted to read Scandinavian Fiction you'd have to read them in German (the Scandinavian and German editions were published almost at the same time). The english publishers found the rich vein of the scandinavian crime fiction 4 or 5 year's ago, but now only the gems remain...

Horst is nothing like Jo Nesbo (a fellow Norwegian). I would tend to compare Horst more with Maj Sjöwall, Per Wahlöö, Arnaldur Indridason or Henning Mankell (all Swedish, with the Arnaldur's exception - Icelander), while Jo Nesbo tries to emulate the american crime fiction writing. Not so with Horst, Maj Sjöwall, Arnaldur Indridason, Per Wahlöö or Henning Mankell. And that's one of the reasons why I tend to prefer Scandinavian Crime Fiction than its american counterpart (there're exceptions naturally).

I won't get into details about the plot. Suffice to say, is that, if your tastes go in the direction of the more traditional Crime Fiction coming out of Scandinavia, you'll most certainly like this book. I certainly did.
NB:I'm curious to find how the relationship between Line and Wisting came to the point portraid in this book.