Saints of the Shadow Bible

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19) - Ian Rankin
description

What's a "rebus"? The first time I came across the term was in a Stieg Larsson's novel, where he used it as a possible explanation for a mathematical equation.

Allow me: "Saints of the Shadow Bible" is not exactly "GR + 8" (an example of a rebus...), but it comes pretty close.

I’ve been a longtime fan of Ian Rankin. One of the things that draws me the most into his work is his deliberate avoidance of the literary. Here I’m going to take the easy way out. I’m not going to define what I mean by “literary fiction” (thus avoiding sounding moronic), because everyone knows what the term means. Rankin’s books are on the other side of the “barricade”, ie, they’re mostly based on character studies and huge chunks of the real world.

Ian Rankin’s books always have me hooked from page one. He’s able to make the difficult seem easy. His technique is embedded with confidence, location, pace, wit, narrative, dialogue and wonderful detail of characterization that makes me forget I’m reading fiction and really believe I’ve been immersed in a true-crime investigation.

I’ve never needed to call up Suspension of Disbelief, which is a real killer for me writing-wise. That’s always the manifestation of a truly gifted writer.